By Gina Barrow, Last updated: February 26, 2021
Try using the search bar in the upper right corner of your Finder. Type in “chat transcript” and whatever the contact”s name is in your phone. The results should show messages saved by date for that person! In this video I”ll show you how to search through iMessage messages on your iPhone or iPad.See more videos by Max here: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaxDaltonTi. See how you can search for text in iMessage and it works on iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 13.iOS 13.FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: US ON FACEBOOK: ht.
“I cannot find the mobile number of my client that was sent to me by my friend last week. I have lots of text messages on my iPhone so I was wondering if there is a way to search text messages/iMessages on iPhone easily. Can I search text messages on iPhone by date?”
Option Two: Restore Your iMessages with iExplorer. If you’re willing to pay, you can restore messages from your backup archives without restoring the entire backup using an iPhone explorer app. These will let you search a backup’s contents for data you might have deleted.
SMS is Short Messaging Service or more commonly known as Text Messages. This is the most abused and used phone feature since mobile phones were created. It is very convenient to use and works on all types of mobile phones whether basic or the iPhones.
It is still the most popular way of communication even in today’s modern era where instant messaging or IMs have emerged.
Like the issue mentioned above, we are all guilty of having too much text messages stored in our inboxes that we barely notice until we find something important. iPhone has anticipated this kind of event in their users’ phone experience so they made it quite convenient for all of us to search iMessage or text messages on iPhone.
So, if you care about that how do I search imessage history? Reading through this article and discover amazing methods to how to search iMessage by date and even recover deleted SMS in 2021.
Sound good? Let”s dive right in..
Part 1. How to Search Text Messages/iMessages on iPhone? 3 Ways Here!
3 Solutions to search messages iPhone here.
Solution 1: Quickly Search Text Messages on iPhone with FoneDog iOS Data Recovery software
If you are looking for a faster and convenient method to search iMessage/text messages on iPhone, why not use FoneDog iOS Data Recovery software.
This program allows you to recover old text messages/iMessages and some those important deleted data like contacts, photos, videos and even more in a lesser amount of time.
It not only can search text messages on iPhone by date but also fix iPhone message search not working problem.
How to search text messages on iPhone, follow these steps:
- Download FoneDog iOS Data Recovery and Launch.
- Connect the iPhone and choose Messages & Attachments.
- Searching is over.
iOS Data RecoveryRecover photos, videos, contacts, messages, call logs, WhatsApp data, and more.Recover data from iPhone, iTunes and iCloud.Compatible with latest iPhone 11, iPhone 11 pro and the latest iOS 13.
Step 1. Download FoneDog iOS Data Recovery and Launch
On your computer, download FoneDog iOS Data Recovery, install and launch the software. If you want to search messages on mac, then download the Mac version.
Search Messages On Iphone
Step 2. Connect the iPhone and choose Messages & Attachments
Using an original USB cable, connect the iPhone to your Mac until the program detects it. When the connection is stable on your screen will display all the files available to search and recover.
You can choose Messages and Attachments and click “Start Scan”.
Step 3. Searching is over
TheFoneDog iOS Data Recoverywill search through the entire iPhone for you. All you need to do now is to sit back and wait. Once the scanning and searching are done, you can see all the files found on the iPhone.
Under Messages and Attachments, you can now see all the messages on your iPhone, narrow down the result by typing relevant keywords in the search bar.
Once you have found what you were looking for, tick the box of the given selection and click either “Recover”.
People Also Read:
Solution 2: Using Spotlight to Search Text Messages/iMessages on iPhone
The spotlight is a powerful built-in feature launched in iOS 14 that allows all iPhone users to search text messages/iMessages or even anything and anywhere from the device. It is a quick way to find any phone features like apps, contacts, messages, notes, and anything you can think of.
You may have an option to edit what will appear on the Spotlight Search by going to Settings> General> Spotlight Search> Tap slider control (3-lined key on the right) by either moving the order or uncheck the labels so they won’t be included in the Spotlight search.
To search iMessages/text messages on iPhone using spotlight, follow these steps below:
- Tap and swipe going right to bring up the Spotlight Search from the Home screen.
- On the search bar, enter the information you are searching for by typing any relevant keywords.
- Swipe down and scroll through the list when you see the search results and locate the message section by tapping on the message contents.
Remember that when searching using Spotlight, the results matching your query will appear from all messages such as text messages, emails, instant messages, and other contents on the iPhone.
Search Text Messages/iMessages with Spotlight
Solution 3: Use Simple Search to Find Text Messages/iMessages on iPhone
Another built-in feature of iPhone devices is the search box option in the messaging application that will allow you to simply type in any relevant keyword. To search through iMessage using your messaging app, follow these:
- Open Messages.
- While viewing the inbox lists, swipe down to let the search box appear.
- Type in any keyword in the search box and the results will automatically update as you type. When you have finally found the message containing the text messages you were looking for, simply tap the message to open.
Part 2. How to Search Text Messages/iMessages from iOS 14?
During an OTA (Over the Air) for iOS 14, there were issues about cannot use search text messages/iMessages on iPhone and even Spotlight search that shows no results when used.
This was caused by the software itself which until now is ongoing. There are forums and other tutorials to resolve this issue but this will cause more risks on your iPhone device. Here is the top most common issue where iOS communities have tried to fix:
When iOS 14 Spotlight doesn’t show any results:
- Step 1: Tap Settings > General > Spotlight Search
- Step 2: Shut down all Spotlight stitches.
- Step 3: Restart your iPhone by pressing Home and Slide buttons altogether.
- Step 4: Toggle on the text messages in the spotlight, you can also enable other searches if needed.
When iOS 14 Spotlight Search not working, you can do the following steps shown as below:
Search Messages By Date
- Step 1: Open Settings > General > Language & Region
- Step 2: Tap on iPhone Language.
- Step 3: Choose the preferred Language.
- Step 4: Tap Change to apply selections.
Some users have even weirder suggestions such as sending an email to your own iPhone device to let the Spotlight search working again. It may sound funny but there is no harm in trying though. These methods are just suggestions from other users as well so chances are; it may or may not work for everybody.
Apple has not yet fully resolved this kind of issue that affected most iOS 14 versions. Eventually, iPhone will release another OTA that will resolve these issues but as of now, you can useFoneDog iOS Data Recoveryfor you to search iMessage/text messages and even recover deleted or missing files.
Part 3. Video Guide: How to Recover Deleted iMessage/Text Messages on iPhone.
If you have lost iMessage/text messages, you can watch this video to quickly recover deleted iMessage/text messages on iPhone.
excellent! it did help me find my iMessage easier and i found that i can also recover the pohotos i deleted! good!
Set up your phone number
On your iPhone:
- Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
- Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
- In the “You can receive iMessages” section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
- Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the “You can be reached by FaceTime at” section.
On your other devices, you can now turn on the phone number that you just set up:
If you use this feature and share your Apple ID with someone, you can”t prevent them from seeing your conversations. Instead of using the same Apple ID as someone else, set up Family Sharing.
Remove your phone number
If you don”t want calls or messages for your iPhone on your iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, you can remove your phone number. There are two ways to do this:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Select your Apple ID at the bottom of the screen and tap Sign Out. Then go to Settings > FaceTime, select your Apple ID and tap Sign Out.
- If the phone number that you want to remove belongs to an iPhone that you can”t access, change your Apple ID password. This removes all phone numbers from your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. Calls or messages for the removed numbers won”t appear on those devices anymore.
If you have questions, contact Apple Support.
Turn your phone number on or off for your Mac
After you set up your phone number, you can turn it on or off for Messages and FaceTime on your Mac.
- Open Messages or FaceTime. If asked, sign in with the Apple ID that you”re using with Messages and FaceTime on your iPhone.
- For Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. For FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences, then click Settings.
- Turn your phone number on or off:
- To turn on your phone number, select it and your Apple ID in the list. If you don”t see your phone number, get help with your settings or contact Apple Support. If you see a number that isn”t yours, change your Apple ID password.
- To turn off your phone number, deselect it in the list.
- If you want recipients to see your phone number and not your Apple ID, select your phone number from the “Start new conversations from” or ”Start new calls from” pop-up menu.
Learn how to make messages that you send and receive on your iPhone appear on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
Turn your phone number on or off for your iPad or iPod touch
After you set up your phone number, you can turn it on or off for Messages and FaceTime on your iPad or iPod touch.
- For Messages, go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. If asked, sign in with the Apple ID you”re using with Messages and FaceTime on your iPhone. Then tap Send & Receive.
- For FaceTime, go to Settings > FaceTime. If asked, sign in with the Apple ID that you”re using with Messages and FaceTime on your iPhone.
- Turn your phone number on or off:
- To turn on your phone number, select it and your Apple ID in the “You can be reached” section. If you don”t see your phone number, get help with your settings or contact Apple Support. If you see a number that isn”t yours, change your Apple ID password.
- To turn off your phone number, uncheck it.
Learn how to make messages that you send and receive on your iPhone also appear on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
If you can”t see or select your number in Messages or FaceTime
- Make sure that you”re using the latest software for your Mac or iOS device.
- Make sure that you correctly followed the iPhone steps to set up your phone number. You should be using the same Apple ID on all of your devices.
- In the “You can be reached” section of Messages and FaceTime settings, make sure that there are checkmarks beside your phone number and Apple ID:
If your phone number is unchecked and you can”t select it, or you have some other issue, follow these steps:
- On your Mac:
- In Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Click Sign Out.
- In FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences, then click Sign Out.
- On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod:
- Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
- Go to Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
- On your iPhone:
- Go back to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is turned on.
- Tap Send & Receive, then choose “Use your Apple ID for iMessage” and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Using the same Apple ID, sign back in to Messages and FaceTime on your other devices.
If you still need help, change your Apple ID password and repeat the setup steps. If that doesn”t work, contact Apple Support.